Wednesday, January 25, 2006

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre. (Part I)

I think I've recovered sufficiently to post something...

Monday was a long day. The Elections Canada staff at my polling station at St. Paul's Catholic Elementary School in Burlington were nice to deal with. We pulled most of the confirmed Liberal voters on our list by 8:30 PM, so my pull-team (Steve) and I waited to scrutinize. Paddy won one of the four polls, but Mike Wallace took the other three; two by very close margins (which were recounted), and one by a wide margin.

I stopped by the victory wrap party. Paddy gave a speech thanking all of the volunteers, both young and old, along with her constituency office staff. I was pretty tired, so I said so-long to a few people, and left.

Tuesday was back to work, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I barely had time for much else, and I even worked through lunch.

The dissapointment in the riding results was tempered a bit by the national results, which weren't nearly as bad as had been predicted.

It was good to see that Belinda Stronach, Scott Brisson, Paul Martin, Judy Sgro and Ralph Goodale had at least been brought back in their ridings.

Someone I was talking to said they thought Belinda would lose because her riding was Conservative; it appears the turth is that her riding is "Stronach" by nature, at least for the present. Still, I like her values. When she was running for leadership of the Conservative party, I remember distinctly thinking that her platform would make more sense if she were to have been running for the Liberal leadership... interesting.

One question: Why does Stephen Harper keep saying he's looking forward to "rebuilding our great nation?" I wasn't aware that it needed rebuilding; a fine tuning can never hurt, and we all know that the Conservatives hear sounds at a different pitch, but rebuilding? Take off, eh?

The Toronto Sun gave the analogy that Canadians were giving the country to the Conservatives for a "test-drive." I would add that's fine, just don't drive to fast and be home before dark.

The Liberal leadership race could be interesting, or a snoozer. I'm not to sure about McKenna; he seems to have all of the qualifications, but so far I don't get a good "gut feel" from the thought of him as leader, but this could change; to be honest I really don't know enough about him.

My buddy Kingpenvin, who voted Conservative for the first time in a decade, surprised me on the weekend with something I hadn't heard; Bob Rae's name is being bandied about as one of the potential runners... now that's interesting. I think Bob Rae would bring credibility in many ways, and is well respected; I think the only problem for him would be the shadow of his exit from politics having been swept from office in Ontario. He'd need to be surrounded by good people, and the party is still brimming with experience... could be a good fit. Kingpengvin says he's the next leader, mark his words. I'm guessing Mr. Rae would bring back some Liberal voters to the fold (like 'pengvin)

I liked the prospect of John Manley becoming leader (and not just becuase I've met him), but his reasons for not running are as sound as they come; if you're happy with your life right now John, stay where you're at... being the leader of a rebuilding party is bound to be a thankless job. (PS. nice meeting you).

Anyway, more later.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home