Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ottawa Looks to Review CBC Role


I'm surprised that nobody has picked up on the news that Bev Oda wants to move quickly on a review of the CBC'c mandate.

I'm interested to see what's going to come of this, having heard plenty of complaints from conservatives that the CBC is biased towards the Liberals. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I sometimes thought so myself, but I do think they moved closer to the Conservatives this last election, although nowhere near as much as CTV (I swear they were running the promo clip of Harper and Daniel Cook on every commercial break).

The end of the article does give the impression that the review may not be necessarily negative:

Ian Morrison of Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, said that the Conservatives' policy on public broadcasting has changed significantly since the 2004 election, and since the days of the Canadian Alliance...

...suggesting that the Conservative party's anti-public broadcasting rhetoric had been replaced by support for the CBC and Radio-Canada as Canada's national broadcaster.

Still, I can't help but think that this is the chance for the Tories to try and neuter a part of the 'MSM' that they may have felt at odds with.

We'll see.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home