Friday, May 05, 2006

The Conservative Concept of Fairness

What I find most annoying about the Harper regime's policies, such as their childcare plan, is the blatant attempt to bribe me.

Take childcare for example; my wife and I don't need the extra $1200.00 (before tax). We have a spot, and we can pay for our own childcare. No, it's not easy, but we're well aware that we are in a better position than many Canadians.

The point about the government helping provide spaces is that they should be helping families who need it.

Instead, the Harper government feels that if they are going to help anyone, then they have to provide the same help to everyone, whether they need it or not.

If you look at the Conservative budget, and their platform, you see more of the same idea. Whether it's a GST cut, which really benefits those who have the most to spend on Goods and Services, or the benefit for childrens involvement in sports and physical activities.

All I can do sometimes is shake my head and wonder. The next election is going to be a litmus test of sorts, where we'll get a better idea of what Canadians think is fair.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home