Sunday, May 28, 2006

It's Official (and has Paul Martin's signature on it)

My card arrived last week. I'm a member in good standing of the Liberal Party of Canada (Ontario). It was the first thing I had heard from my riding association since I had called to follow up on my membership application. Reading the news letter that came with it gave me a better perspective on things.

It’s funny, but since January, I’ve spoken with a few other people who felt like the party was slow to respond to them, whether it was their on-line membership application, or their desire to participate in the AGM.

Yeah, I’ve been a little impatient myself, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say I felt “disenfranchised” (as someone else has suggested). Instead, I was wondering why the lack of urgency? What was taking so long? This is the age of email. I had applied on-line, so why didn’t I hear back from anyone in the next couple weeks?

Thinking about it now, I imagine that things progressed just about as fast as they could be expected, but like much of the email/blackberry driven society I’ve become conditioned to expect results/responses immediately. As a suggestion, someone might want to have the site send back an automated email to people who sign-up online, letting them know that the process can take 8-12 weeks, and then maybe direct them to their riding’s website, etc. Maybe direct them to Liblogs to while they're at it.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home