Monday, May 15, 2006

The View From the Fence

While I'm interested in reading most of the posting that's going on about the Liberal leadership race, I'm less inclined to post on it myself. I don't think I can bring nearly as much to the analysis of the candidates as some of the more adroit bloggers that have already posted extensively on the subject.

One thing I have to say is that I'm finding it pretty difficult to actually choose one of the candidates to support, mainly because choosing one means not choosing some of the others. My own perspective, fwiw, is that it's a pretty good quality slate, even if it is a large group.

One of the criticisms that I've heard is that there are too many candidates, and as a result, it's hard for them to be able to equally participate in a debate that offers much in the way of substantive policy and vision. This may be true, but it seems to me that it could be better to have too many, at least initially, in order to give a good range to compare and choose from, and has allowed for the opportunity for dark horses to emerge.

What a great party. Only the Liberal party could boast of having candidates who were formerly of the NDP and Conservative parties; some may not consider this a positive point, but I see it as a real strength. You can't get any more big tent than that. Canadians may still be a little mistrustful, but it's still early yet, and sooner or later, they're going to realize which party is really best at representing the broadest range of people and their interests.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home