Thursday, July 20, 2006

Starting my day

I have a daily planner that I use constantly for keeping track of my schedule and things to do etc. Every day when I get to my desk I start by opening it up and going over yesterday's tasks, looking at what is planned for today, etc. But even before I do these things, I read the quote that appears at the top of each daily notes page; in light of recent events, today's is especially poignant:

"Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. ...Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've always been awed and inspired by the Rev. King; he and Mohandas Ghandi are two of the shining lights of recent human history.

As much as this is the what I think and feel, I still can't help but wonder if their messages are of any practical use in the face of such callous, heinous violence (is there any other kind?) as we have seen of late. Of course, a part of me says, look at the success of ending colonial rule in India throught the "Satyagraha" movement led by Ghandi, in the face of similar brutality on the part of the British; it only took the fortitude and courage to resist resorting to violence.

Getting back to work and the tasks at hand, I count myself lucky that this is for me just a theoretical question, contemplated in safety.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home