Saturday, September 23, 2006

'Ding-dong'

Hmmm... the bullshit detector is going off again.

More of the usual partisan sniping going on again, of the leadership race variety.

Ah well, let them bluster. I didn't join the party to fight Liberals, and I didn't choose to back my choice for leadership of the party because I want to be somebody's shill.

I do support Bob Rae because I think he's got the know-how and experience.

I'm pretty sure I know what he means when he says that the leadership race isn't about picking the leader with the best ideas. There's going to be input into policy from more than just the next "great leader;" you know, like from the public. That said, the candidates have to be able to show they know a decent policy when they hear one, and put forward a few ideas of their own.

Back when there was the possibility of an election occurring before the next leader of the party was chosen, I had a brief idea that such a scenario could possibly work for the party, because we'd have a bunch of leaders, with their wide range of appeal, working the hustings across the country. Then reality came back into view and I remembered that the candidates will be too busy attacking each other and putting forth competing platforms.

Yes, we're all in the same party, but that big tent holds a lot of ideas. Hashing out which ones become part of the party's overall platform will be one of the tasks that the next leader will have to help with.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home